Life Skills Counsellor
Life Skills Counsellor
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING (Job Posting #2020-74)
TITLE: Life Skills Counsellor
POSITION STATUS: Full Time – Temporary (1 year) (Non-Union)
SCHEDULE: Monday to Friday- 4:00pm to 12:00am, (flexibility required as needed)
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
The Bob Rumball Canadian Centre of Excellence for the Deaf (BRCCED) is a provincial leader in the Deaf community.
Our Adult Residential Program (ARP) supports Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Deafblind adults some of whom have complex behavioural, developmental and/or mental health diagnoses.
The Life Skills Counsellor provide the individuals in care with opportunities to increase their level of independence in skill area such as communication, daily living, social, and community awareness based on each individual’s Life Plan.
This position is a temporary role, with the possibility of extension.
- Assist in identifying needs for all individuals in the program
- Be familiar with all individual programs developed from the Individual Support Plan and assist as necessary
- Plan and organize indoor and outdoor recreation activities for all individuals on a weekly basis
- Ensure all individuals are safely transported to appointments, community outings, outside programs, transportation stations and family homes
- Ensure a high level of quality care is maintained at all times
- Follow Policies and Procedures for the agency and Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services as they apply to our individuals and standard of care.
- Use the least intrusive procedures necessary to maintain a stable environment
- Maintain a respectful attitude towards individuals at all times
- Utilize community resources & liaise with community members
- Advocate on behalf of individuals and their specific needs/goals
- Keep your team up to date on program activities at all times
- Teach, coach, mentor – life skills, daily activity schedules and community involvement
- Physical activities including but not limited to, lifting, bending and prolonged standing
- Provide leadership to part-time staff
- DSW Diploma or related college degree or equivalent work acquired experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a residential setting with Consumers with developmental disabilities, mental health needs and/or dual diagnosis
- Knowledge and experience working within the deaf community and fluency in ASL
- Knowledge and experience working with clinical professionals as it relates to mental health and/or behavioural needs
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving abilities; good judgement and critical thinker
- Advocates for and with the Individuals and deaf community at all times.
- Excellent communication, literacy and interpersonal skills
- Innovation, initiative and integrity
- Demonstrated experience in computer literacy (e.g. Words, Excel, Outlook)
- Valid Ontario Full G Driver’ s License and clean driving record
- French language/LSQ an asset
Interested candidates please email resume to: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 416.449.8881
Please contact the above if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process.
PLEASE QUOTE JOB POSTING NUMBER YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posting Date: September 15, 2020 Closing Date: September 28, 2020 Start Date: Immediately