Reports to: Director, Clinical Services
Location: Weller Avenue
Start Date: April 12, 2021 - June 3 2022
The Nurse Practitioner is a member of the primary health care team. The emphasis is on holistic care, health promotion and disease prevention. They diagnose and manage common disorders and diseases seen in primary health care, in collaboration with the client and the physician. The Nurse Practitioner works as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team to address issues in the community which affect health. They are responsible and accountable for their practice.
*This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
· Works within the scope of practice set for a Nurse Practitioner to provide primary care to clients.
· Takes into account environmental, social, psychological and medical risk factors (social determinants of health) in a manner that can be understood by clients and is appropriate to their family situation.
· Works with and refers to other members of the care team or other health care professionals to ensure clients receive comprehensive, competent and appropriate health care.
· Acts as a health advocate for clients and uses health care resources effectively.
· Assesses clients for routine health and illness care, prescribes treatment, prescribes medications, orders diagnostic tests, and promotes chronic disease self-management principles as appropriate.
· Remains accessible to clients during the hours of service scheduled by KCHC, at on and off-site locations and provides home visits as required.
· Counsels and educates individuals on health and lifestyle issues and evaluates the effectiveness of education and counseling approaches and strategies.
· Participates in developing, facilitating and evaluating mental and physical health promotion programs.
· Identifies areas where development of protocols and procedures are needed to improve client services or to promote more effective staff functioning.
· Maintains accurate records of clients' visits and encounters, including phone encounters, using the charting and recording formats established by Kingston Community Health Centres.
· Assists other nursing staff in administrative and clinical duties if required.
· Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
· Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
· Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
· Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
· Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
· Registration as Registered Nurse in the Extended Class, Ontario College of Nurses.
· Three to five years nursing experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital or public health settings an asset; experience in a primary care setting an asset
· Experience supporting marginalized clients with addictions, mental health, and complex psycho-social issues preferred
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of management of clients with addictions and mental health diagnosis
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis and ability to meet the physical demands of the position
· Excellent organizational skills and above average attention to detail
· Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to engage marginalized clients, and a commitment to being a “team player.”
· Proficiency in the use of computers and relevant software applications (Microsoft Office), including Electronic Medical Record software
Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
Position Competencies: Attention to Detail, Communication, Knowledge/Professional/Technical Expertise, Negotiation, Problem Solving, Teamwork, Time Management
· Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
· French or Indigenous verbal language skills are an asset
· Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
· Save all documents as a single PDF file using your own name (Last, First).
· Email to firstname.lastname@example.org citing reference “2021-12-KCHC” in the subject line.
· Applications must be submitted to Human Resources by Friday, March 5, 2021.
As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.\
We are a proud Living Wage employer!
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4