Job Title: Line/Prep Cook:
Company Name: Fueling Minds
Salary: $19 per hour
Job Types: Part-time
Hours of Work: Part-Time (8:00AM to 1:00PM), Monday through Friday.
Start Date: ASAP
Note: Hours are subject to change as per the needs and requirements of the business.
We are growing and would love you to grow with us!!
Fueling Minds is a catering company that provides healthy breakfast, lunches and snacks to children in child care centres and is expanding to schools and camp/sports programs. We have a passion for enriching the lives of our community and serving up daily nourishment, carefully sourced and prepared, to grow healthy bodies and minds.
Who you are:
The Line/Prep Cook will support Fueling Minds cooking and baking preparation, recipe development, inventory, day to day cleaning & portioning and packing of a mass quantity of hot meals and snacks for the childcare centres early each morning on a daily basis.
The Line/Prep is responsible for knowing, understanding and accurately following recipes, instructions and procedures. In addition, the Line/Prep Cook is responsible for ensuring that Fueling Minds high quality and food standards are being met, with 100% integrity.
- Support the kitchen team and organize food orders for delivery.
- Food preparation and cooking process.
- Monitoring and reduction of food wastage.
- Participate in the development of seasonal rotational menus with accompanying recipes.
- Ability to follow recipes and prepare consistent menu items.
- Ability to cook and bake in a commercial production environment.
- Store and maintain all food product in compliance with health & safety regulations and protocols.
- Understanding Fueling Minds food and quality standards, while actively monitoring these standards.
- Checking the quality of the food being served through taste tasting.
- Packing food efficiently to ensure no wasted materials.
- Maintaining the cleanliness and organization of work stations, cleaning as you go throughout the day.
- Offering support in areas where needed.
- Ability to oversee internal clients and external clients.
- Support inventory management and purchases.
- Ability to receive product deliveries, check product for quality and rotate inventory. (FIFO)
- Ensure hot/cold meals and snacks are accurate, packed properly and sealed to ensure temperature retention.
- Work in a team environment, however, able to work independently.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager.
Some daily requirements and components of the job you will need to consider are:
- Stirring and mixing a large quantity of food.
- Lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Safely use and handle sharp materials such as box cutters and knives.
- Safely lift and carry boxes and cambros.
- Push, pull and move rolling racks and carts safely around the kitchen.
- Standing and sitting for long periods of time.
- Repetitive tasks and body movement.
- Bending, leaning and reaching.
- Compensation and Benefits:
- Dental, Health & Wellness Benefits.
- Child Care center discounts.
- The chance to be a part of a dynamic team with a passion for food & the community.
- Use your culinary talents to feed children & families who need proper nourishment.
Skills and experience:
- Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
- Post-Secondary School Education in Culinary.
- Red Seal Certification or Journeyman is an asset.
- Understanding of Canada’s Food Guide and Nutrition curriculum.
- Food Safe Certification.
- Criminal Background Check with Vulnerable Sector Check.
- First Aid / CPR training.
- Experience complying with HACCP is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of menu and recipe development.
- Ability to work flexible hours. (early mornings)
- Experience in a customer focused related position.
- In-depth knowledge of kitchen health & safety regulations.
- Ability to maintain a positive and creative work culture and environment.
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict management abilities.
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills.
- 3 – 5 years of cooking/baking experience in a commercial food service. environment in a role with similar responsibility.
Fueling Minds is an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We thank all those applicants who have applied; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.