WordPress Web Developer
WordPress Web Developer
Reports to: Manager, Web Operations
Status: Permanent, full-time
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Funded by Veterans Affairs Canada, the Centre of Excellence (CoE) on Post Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD) was established in 2019 to provide better access to information, research, tools and expertise on PTSD and related mental health problems and illnesses. The goal of the CoE is to create knowledge networks with researchers, service providers, veterans and their families across Canada to increase expertise on military and veteran mental health, suicide prevention and substance use disorders. The CoE will create new knowledge on veteran mental health treatments that work and place it directly into the hands of mental health professionals and others working with veterans on a daily basis. The CoE will share evidence-based treatment protocols and best practices among the Veterans Affairs Canada network of Operational Stress Injury Clinics, the Canadian Forces Health Services, and with mental health professionals across the country.
First responders, their families and other Canadians living with and affected by PTSD or a related mental health problem will also benefit from the information and knowledge developed at the CoE.
The Centre of Excellence on PTSD is seeking a WordPress Web Developer, reporting to the Manager, Web Operations, who will be responsible for the coding, innovative design and layout of all web assets. Working closely with the Marketing and Communications team, they will work from conception to completion (i.e. from the backend to the User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX), including monitoring and updating our website and all associated properties. This individual willl be involved in the entire development cycle, from design, to release and fixing bugs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for developing, theming, and updating WordPress websites;
- Active involvement in the planning, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of websites and web applications;
- Provide technical guidance to clients and other team members;
- Seek out new technology trends, tools, and opportunities for innovation;
- Execute testing and quality assurance protocols;
- Maintain awareness of Content Management Systems (CMS) and platform themes to ensure the website is up-to-date and at the leading edge of available technology;
- Lead collection of data and analytics on client and audience activity for web properties;
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on decision making pertaining to the web properties.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Strong understanding of web environment management for domain registration, hosting, server management, and WordPress CMS implementation
- Experience with responsive Web development techniques and CSS frameworks (i.e. Bootstrap)
- Good understanding of Web security best practices
- Solid debugging and troubleshooting skills (using appropriate tools and techniques)
- Demonstrable success working in constantly changing and results-oriented environments, in interdisciplinary teams, and in partnerships with various stakeholders
- Ability to learn new concepts and processes quickly, to exercise good judgement and to demonstrate initiative
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated respect of the life experiences of Veterans, Military and RCMP inclusive, and Veteran families
- Demonstrated organizational professionalism, respect for confidentiality and appropriate handling of sensitive information
- Minimum of three years experience in website development (front and back-end programing);
- Related post-secondary education preferred;
- Familiarity and background working with, and/or lived experience as Military & RCMP Veterans and Veteran Family Members is considered a strong asset;
- Fluency in French and English is considered a strong asset.
- Competitive salary and benefits package, including 4 weeks of paid vacation and enrollment in the HOOP Pension Plan;
- Other internal benefits include access to professional development funds and organizational trainings as available
- Working standard office hours with start and end time flexibility (37.5 hrs/week). Option for a condensed 4-day work week available upon approval;
- Must be comfortable working in open space and virtual environments;
- Physical/cognitive demands include use of typical office equipment, prolonged periods of sitting and working on a computer/telephone, high degree of concentration and attention to detail;
- Psychological demands include deadline drive requirements, capacity to organize and prioritize own work, adaptable to change and ability to set and work towards performance and development goals.
The Centre of Excellence on PTSD is committed to principles of equity and inclusion. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels safe and empowered. We will be prioritizing applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds, including First Nations, Inuit, and Métis, racialized populations, veterans, 2SLGBTQ+, people with lived-experience, and family members of people with lived experience.