Sewing Machinery Technician
- Posted by: Stitch By Stitch
- Closing Date: N/A
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Negotiable
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $17.00
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35
- Schedule: Days, Weekends
- Education: College
Stitch by Stitch is a full-service Sewing Machine sales, repairs, and sewing store. We are located in Kingston's West End and are the authorized dealer for Singer, Husqvarna-Viking, Pfaff, Brother and associated brands. We are a distributor for A1 Quilting machines. Sewing machines are an advanced technology business and we sell machines from $250 - $45,000. Very similar to an automotive dealership, we service what we sell, and customers return for routine maintenance. Unlike an automotive dealership, some of the machines we sell are location-specific and may be located in industrial environments.
Our store is building its sewing machine repair business and requires a person available to be trained and certified in sewing machine repair. This position will be developed and the role will expand as the business grows over the next few months. We have a part-time technician on contract who will be available and assistive, but this role will be fully trained with Brother, Husqvarna-Viking, Singer and Pfaff Sewing machines to run the service and repair component of the business. Rate of Pay will be tiered, and billable hours remunerated on top of your hourly rate, training and unoccupied time rate of pay is negotiable - we would like our repair technician to be on-site Monday - Friday for set hours, and if the business requires it, on occasional Saturdays.
Sewing machines run from a purely mechanical machine to a complex computerized machine, and you will be required to attend the training that we subscribe to in order for our location to be the national standard and warranty center - currently, the only center like this is in Calgary, AB. Some of this training will be in a classroom setting, and some may be in the United States. This is a growth position, will require some customer interaction on a daily basis and the position will be remunerated on sales and efficiency.
- Disassemble machinery and equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Repair and replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery and equipment.
- Repair and maintain the operating condition of machinery and equipment.
- Examine parts for defects such as breakage and excessive wear.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Observe and test the operation of machinery and equipment in order to diagnose malfunctions.
- Operate newly repaired machinery and equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs.
- Clean, lubricate, and adjust parts, equipment, and machinery.
- Analyze test results, machine error messages, and information obtained from operators in order to diagnose equipment problems.
- Record repairs and maintenance performed.
- Study schematics and manufacturers' manuals to determine the correct installation and operation of machinery.
- Record parts and materials used, and order or requisition new parts and materials as necessary.
- Assemble new equipment.
- Demonstrate equipment functions and features to machine operators.
- Enter codes and instructions to program computer-controlled machinery.
- Repairing and Maintaining Mechanical Equipment - Servicing, repairing, adjusting, and testing machines, devices, moving parts, and equipment.
- Inspecting Equipment, Furniture, or Material - Inspecting equipment, furniture, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Handling and Moving Objects - Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, moving materials, and manipulating things.
- Getting Information - Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Reaction Time - The ability to quickly respond (with the hand, finger, or foot) to a signal (sound, light, picture) when it appears.
- Control Precision - The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Manual Dexterity - The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness - The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Attention to Detail - Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability - Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Independence - Job requires developing one's own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
- Integrity - Job requires being honest and ethical.
Occupation Tools and Technology
- Tools - Adjustable widemouth pliers, Alignment jig, Adjustable wrenches, Air compressors
- Technology - Computer-aided installation and update software, Database user interface and query software, Web-based accounting system, and online ordering systems
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic and geometry their applications.
- Design - understanding of techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Related Work Experience - we are looking for a person who can relate to customers in a retail environment, and interact with a variety of managers, and will represent the business well. There may be travel to the USA required for training.