- Posted by: Queens University
- Closing Date: May 29, 2022
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Salary
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35
- Schedule: Days
- Education: College
A Brief Overview
The Administrative Assistant will provide senior-level administrative support to the Vice-Dean Research and the Office of Research in Queen's Health Sciences (QHS). In addition to planning and coordinating diverse administrative activities, the incumbent will plan and lead projects supporting key initiatives for the Office of Research and Queen's Health Sciences strategic priorities, support and oversee the QHS research operating budget and coordinate high profile events. This includes analyzing information, identifying key deliverables, as well as maintaining a timeline to ensure accuracy and progression towards achieving the goal and follows up as required.
The incumbent will act as a contact and resource to senior staff and liaises with other offices in the faculty, university and with outside agencies.
This position provides administrative and planning assistance to senior staff to support operations. This position arranges meetings, special events, and appointments, assembles and prepares critical information for meetings, and follows up as required. This position coordinates schedules of senior staff, and determines relative priorities to ensure urgent/sensitive matters receive immediate attention. This positions also analyzes data, and prepares reports and statistics."
What you will do
- Provides administrative and planning assistance to senior staff. Proofs and edits correspondence for distribution.
- Provides operational coordination for the department including arranging meetings, special events, and appointments, assembling and preparing critical information for meetings, and following up as required.
- Coordinates schedules of senior staff, determines relative priorities to ensure urgent/sensitive matters receive immediate attention.
- Creates and/or maintains a variety of databases. Performs analysis, and prepares reports and statistics.
- Collects and prepares documentation, and maintains files for renewal, tenure and promotion, term adjuncts, post-doctoral fellows, visiting scholars, and casual staff.
- Performs monthly financial reconciliation of all funds, and programs by preparing cheque requisitions, deposits, and journal entries.
- Coordinate procurement activities for the department, including coordinating the RFQ process and payments to suppliers.
- Other duties as required in support of the department and/or unit.
- Three-year Community College Diploma or Three-Year Bachelor Degree, or equivalent.
- Required Experience
- More than 3 years and up to and including 5 years of experience.
- Experience in planning and/or managing projects considered an asset.
- Experience in financial management practices considered an asset.
- Experience planning, coordinating and/or managing events or promotions considered an asset.
Job Knowledge and Requirements
- Practical and applied knowledge of specialized methods and processes that are typically acquired through a combination of technical or academic qualification and/or work experience.
- Provide consultation and advice on non-straightforward and/or complex issues.
- Interaction with others typically requires interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and influence.
- Adapt messages to meet the needs of the intended audience.
- Build relationships, trust and credibility.
- Manage own work and may train and review the work of casual employees, work study students and/or volunteers, to see commitments through to completion.
- Contribute to setting work priorities and direction, supporting the team in achieving goals and objectives.
- Participate in project team meetings and develop individual project plans.
- Lead procedural or technological change within a unit.
- Identify new problems and seek information and input to fully understand the cause of problems.
- Identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of work processes.
- Draw logical conclusions and provides opinions and recommendations.
- Research equity, diversity, accessibility and inclusion resources and best practices relevant to the job and unit operations in order to inform evidence-based planning.
- Commitment to principles of equity, diversity, accessibility, inclusion, Indigenization and human rights for equity deserving groups.