Registered Practical Nurse
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: Aug 31, 2022
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $34.89 - $36.10
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Positions Available: 3
- Type: Part Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: Up to 75hrs/2 weeks
- Schedule: Days, Nights, Evenings, Weekends, Shift
- Education: College
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members LGBTQ+ communities, to apply.
**In addition to the hourly rate of pay, this position provides 4% in lieu of vacation and 13% in lieu of all benefits and reimbursement for CNO renewal fees starting in 2023**
The Registered Practical Nurse provides quality resident-centered care, as a member of the interdisciplinary team in accordance with the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA), the College of Nurses of Ontario Standards of Practice and the Registered Practical Nurses’ Association of Ontario. Provides professional nursing care to residents and supervises care given by health care staff while ensuring quality resident centered health care is provided that is in accordance with Ministry of Health & Long Term Care standards. Ensures compliance with standards of nursing practice and best practice guidelines.
- Provide effective and knowledgeable services to the assessment and planning of resident care.
- Assess health status and care needs of residents and effectively evaluate measures required to meet needs. Contribute to the identification of appropriate nursing actions, including therapeutic and rehabilitative aspects of care.
- Collect data through direct observation, communication with the resident, resident’s family and/or other health care providers; communicate this information accurately and promptly to the Registered Nurse or other members of the health care team as appropriate.
- Implement residents’ plans of care, evaluate outcomes and work collaboratively with care team and residents to re-establish goals, ensuring leading practices are followed and resident safety and comfort is at optimum level for both physical and emotional/mental health.
- Dispense medications and treatments to residents in a safe manner and in accordance with applicable standards and regulations. Provide responsible safekeeping of medication room and cart keys.
- Ensure continuity of care through accurate and complete verbal and written reports including electronic health records and charting systems, in accordance with established standards.
- Ensure safe nursing practices and effective supervision of unregulated care providers, evaluating health care staff objectively and promoting Continuous Quality Improvement in all aspects of Resident’s care. Participate meaningfully in audits of nursing care provided.
- Promote and participate effectively in team work including ensuring goals and concerns are communicated to the Registered Nurse. Maintain positive and productive relationships and communications with team members, nursing leadership, residents and residents’ families, and other departments/external agencies.
- Actively promote and follow safe work practices and ensure accident prevention and health and safety responsibilities are fully met by self and others; correct and follow up with team members who are not practicing safe work habits and report concerns to the Registered Nurse.
- Act as a role model providing leadership, assist with orientation of staff, coach new team members and refer concerns regarding conduct or work performance to Registered Nurse or Director of Care.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information regarding resident care, adhering to the professional standards of practice, privacy legislation and Corporate Policy.
- Enhance knowledge base by participating in ongoing education within the City of Kingston and through independent learning.
- Attend meetings, committees and participate in the preceptor role for practical nurse students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2 year diploma in practical nursing or equivalent.
- Current Certificate of Competence and Registration as an RPN.
- One (1) year of related nursing experience.
- Valid CPR-C Certificate.
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Skills in gerontology, with the ability to focus on special care needs with empathy, respect and a supportive approach, demonstrating behaviours consistent with Professional Standards of Practice and the Corporate Code of Conduct;
- Demonstrated ability to interact with seniors in a caring and respectful manner;
- Able to perform the essential duties of the job;
- Able to maintain confidentiality;
- Commitment to promoting and following safe work practices;
- Demonstrated strong leadership and communication skills;
- Able to work independently and as an effective team member in a cooperative manner with all members of staff, families, residents, volunteers and outside agencies;
- Demonstrated organizational, prioritization and time management skills;
- Able to apply leadership and clinical skills to focus on health promotion and disease prevention to enhance resident wellness;
- General working knowledge of computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office);
- Previous experience with electronic health records and documentation is preferred;
- Committed to ongoing learning and development;
- Must be available to work days, evenings, nights and weekends;
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check, including vulnerable sector, at own expense;
- Proof of recent screening for Tuberculosis (TB);
- Proof of immunity to communicable diseases.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca.
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.