Personal Support Worker - Rideaucrest Home
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: Aug 10, 2022
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $25.22 - $30.96
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Positions Available: 2
- Type: Part Time
- Duration: Temporary
- Avg. Hours/Week: up to 75 hours/2 weeks
- Schedule: Days, Nights, Evenings, Weekends, Shift
- Education: College
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members *2SLGBTQ+ communities, to apply.
**Please note this a temporary position, covering part-time hours for up to 24 months**
- Under the supervision of registered staff, assist and support residents to meet their essential, behavioral, emotional, spiritual and physical needs. This position promotes restorative care in activities of daily living (ADL) while maintaining the goal of maximum quality of life for residents.
- Ensure resident’s personal hygiene is maintained to high standards of practice including, but not limited to, bathing, shaving and care of hair, mouth, nails and skin;
- Monitor and assist residents during meal times; report and document relevant information;
- Lift, transfer and transport residents using proper safety techniques and correct body mechanics and equipment;
- Participate with other care team members in exchanging information, contributing to care plans, following programs and ensuring optimum levels of health, safety and comfort for residents;
- Promote independence in activities of daily living by encouraging resident activities and interests;
- Observe residents and promptly report incidents, accidents or changes in condition;
- Use resident care plan and assignment sheets in the planning of care, obtaining sufficient knowledge about individualized needs prior to providing care;
- Provide support and assistance to resident’s social needs, provide stimulation and encourage interactions respecting their independence and personal choices to ensure the residents total well being;
- Maintain all required documentation in a timely and accurate manner, according to established standards;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent education (verification will be required);
- Successful completion of a recognized Personal Support Worker Program;
- One (1) year customer service experience;
- Experience in a long-term care setting preferred;
- First Aid/CPR Certificate, Palliative Care training and Alzheimer Care training an asset;
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Demonstrated ability to interact with seniors in a caring and respectful manner;
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member in a cooperative manner with all members of staff, families, residents, volunteers and outside agencies;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that demonstrate an ability to relate to others and work well with peers and residents of the Home;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize;
- Possess skills in gerontology and focus on special care needs with empathy, respect and a supportive approach, ensuring ethical practices at all times;
- Able to maintain confidentiality;
- Commitment to promoting and following safe work practices;
- Committed to ongoing learning and development;
- Must be available to work days, evenings, nights and weekends;
- Able to perform the essential duties of the job;
- Proof of recent screening for Tuberculosis (TB);
- Proof of immunity to communicable diseases;
- Proof of full COVID-19 immunization receipt;
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check, including Vulnerable Sector, at own expense.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.