Environmental Services Custodian
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: Aug 21, 2022
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $21.98 - $26.61
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Part Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: up to 75 hours/2 weeks
- Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
- Education: High School
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members *2SLGBTQ+ communities, to apply.
** This job is currently under review with the Job Evaluation Committee **
The Environmental Services Custodian ensures that all areas of the Home are kept clean, emphasizing infection control practices at all times. This position also ensures that resident laundry and in-house linens are cleaned and cared for in a conscientious and timely manner while operating all laundry and clothing care machinery safely and efficiently.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Clean residents’ rooms as assigned, ensuring the highest standards of cleanliness are met at all times;
- Clean and sanitize/disinfect resident and public bathrooms thoroughly;
- Clean hallways, offices, dining room, serving area, washrooms and tub room, and all assigned areas of the facility, removing soiled furniture for cleaning;
- Daily delivery of incontinent supplies to each floor;
- Room preparation for new residents, including stripping and waxing the floor, moving furniture, etc.;
- Prepare conference room set ups;
- Ensure full compliance with Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Act & Regulations, as well as all current infection control procedures;
- Use initiative to identify cleaning needs and cleaning improvement opportunities;
- Actively promote and follow safe work practices and ensure accident prevention and health and safety responsibilities are fully met by self and others;
- Collect and sort residents’ personal items and linens;
- Safely operate laundry equipment to wash and dry resident laundry and in-house linens in compliance with all department and infection control procedures;
- Pick up new resident personal items requiring labelling. Operate clothes labelling machine
- for imprinting residents’ names;
- Locate missing clothing, while being courteous of the needs of the resident and family;
- Complete linen audits as required;
- Maintain clean, tidy and well-organized work areas, conducting regular safety inspections of
- equipment and reporting all problems or potential hazards to the Supervisor;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent education;
- Three (3) months of related work experience with preference given to experience in a health care setting;
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Able to perform the essential duties of the job, such as pushing carts, climbing ladders, moving furniture, and operating cleaning equipment;
- Demonstrated ability to interact with seniors in a caring and respectful manner;
- Able to maintain confidentiality;
- Commitment to promoting and following safe work practices. Ability to consistently focus on health and safety challenges in dealing with exposure to body wastes/fluids, chemicals/cleaning substances, dust/dirt and noise;
- Able to work independently and as an effective team member in a cooperative manner with all members of staff, families, residents, volunteers and outside agencies;
- Demonstrated communication, organizational, prioritization and time management skills as required to complete cleaning routines;
- Committed to ongoing learning and development;
- Proof of recent screening for Tuberculosis (TB);
- Proof of immunity to communicable diseases;
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination receipts;
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check, including vulnerable sector, at own expense.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.