Casual Cleaner - Queen's Career Gateway Program
- Posted by: Queens University
- Closing Date: Oct 9, 2022
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Positions Available: 10
- Type: Part Time
- Duration: Contract
- Avg. Hours/Week: 19.5
- Education: High School
Queen’s University is seeking interested participants for the second cohort of the Queen's Career Gateway Program commencing September 2022. The Queen’s Career Gateway Program creates employment pathways and learning opportunities at Queen’s University for vulnerable persons within the Kingston community, particularly newcomers to Canada, refugees, and individuals belonging to equity-deserving groups with limited English-language skills.
Program participants develop in-demand skills as casual cleaners with either Facilities or Residences, positioning them as viable candidates for future Caretaker opportunities. The Program helps to remove barriers to employment for vulnerable persons who may not have educational credentials – a high school diploma is not required to apply.
Parallel with on-the-job experience, English language training for participants is provided by Queen’s School of English. The Program includes paid release time from work to attend language training for non-native speakers, specifically focusing on language for the workplace, and related course content.
Casual cleaners perform a range of cleaning duties, and while participants in the Gateway Program, they work and attend English language training for a combined total of 19.5 hours per week.
Looking to pursue a full-time career at Queen’s? Casual cleaners may have the opportunity to become continuing Caretakers should they apply for future vacancies. In addition to competitive wages, continuing Caretakers may be eligible for shift premiums and a wide range of other employee programs such as; pension, benefits, work wear, tuition support, childcare support plan, and a variety of other work/life wellness programs. Click here to learn more about working at Queen’s.
The university is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. If you have the qualities of a successful cleaner and meet the minimum qualifications, take the first step and apply now!
Qualities of a Successful Cleaner:
• Follow all appropriate safety practices.
• Show good work habits.
• Commitment to client satisfaction – you care that your work is done well.
• Respect diversity and promote inclusion in our workplace.
• Learn and practice new skills.
• Embrace the values of the University: Truth, Responsibility, Respect, Freedom, and Wellbeing
• High school diploma or equivalent is preferred, but not required.
• Ability to speak, read and write in basic English (Level 4 Canadian Language Benchmark for applicants whose first language is not English).
• Willingness and ability to understand and follow instructions.
• Mechanical skills to clean and set-up equipment like a floor cleaning machine.
• Must be willing and able to work in a team environment that respects the point of view of others.
• Willingness and ability to work with people at all levels (e.g., front line staff, managers, senior administrators, etc.).
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check.
• Must be physically capable of performing the major responsibilities of a cleaner.*
• Maintain a safe, clean and healthy environment in and near assigned buildings.
• Strip, seal and wax, and spray buff floors.
• Clean and sanitize washrooms, fixtures and fittings.
• Vacuum and shampoo carpets and upholstery.
• Sweep, dust-mop and damp-mop all floor surfaces.
• Collect garbage; clean glass, walls, and blackboards.
• Move furniture; lock and unlock buildings.
• Operate a variety of floor machinery.