Accounts Payable/Receivable Assistant
- Posted by: Queens University
- Closing Date: Oct 2, 2022
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Salary
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35
- Schedule: Days
- Education: College
A Brief Overview
Reporting to the Financial Manager, this position provides essential day-to-day accounting and bookkeeping support to the vast financial portfolio of the Department of Medicine. The Department of Medicine is the largest clinical department in Queen's Health Sciences and encompasses 15 specialty divisions, 10 Royal College Training Programs, 130 faculty and 60 administrative staff. The Department is responsible for mandates in the provision of patient care, educating students and trainees, and conducting research. This position is critical to ensuring that the financial operations of the Department are functioning to its maximum capacity in support of the Department's key mandates. The incumbent must function with an exceptional level of accuracy, confidentiality, judgement and efficiency in a fast-paced environment. The incumbent is also expected to act with initiative, make decisions independently, work collectively and consult with other staff as required.
This position completes accounting and bookkeeping activities such as journal entries, payroll entry, expense claim auditing, HST rebates, invoicing, requisitions, and collections. This position tracks and audits all department's financial transactions and generates reports. This position also tracks, maintains, and monitors assets, inventory, and equipment lifecycles.
What you will do
- Processes financial transactions and records them in department operating accounts.
- Performs bookkeeping procedures such as journal entries, payroll entry, expense claim auditing, HST rebates, invoicing, requisitions, and collections.
- Provides input into the review, development and implementation of administrative and financial policy, procedures, and guidelines.
- Liaises with department staff on payroll requirements and data entry.
- Coordinates the department’s purchasing transactions, reviews purchase requests, identifies vendors, requests quote, evaluates and makes recommendations on quotes, completes purchases requisitions for approval, places purchases orders, tracks orders, and verifies receipt of goods.
- Maintains vendor lists, purchasing files and contracts to ensure compliance with university policies and procedures.
- Tracks, maintains, and monitors assets, inventory, and equipment lifecycles.
- Performs collection activities such as regular monthly billings, delinquent account follow-up, late payments, and overage charges.
- Maintains confidential employment files and records.
- Generates monthly statements of accounts for review.
- Other duties as required in support of the department and/or unit.
- Three-year Community College Diploma or Three-Year Bachelor Degree, or equivalent.
- More than 2 years and up to and including 3 years of experience.
- Experience in financial services practices considered an asset (e.g., maintaining accounting records, etc.).
- Experience in general financial control practices considered an asset (e.g., accounts payable, cost accounting, financial reporting, etc.).
- Experience in payroll administration considered an asset.
- Experience with accounting practices considered an asset (e.g., general ledger, cash payments/collections, tax transactions, balance sheets, management reporting, cost accounting/budgeting and/or accounts payable/receivables, etc.).
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Knowledge and Requirements
- Knowledge and insight of practical methods, techniques, and work processes that is typically acquired through a combination of technical training and/or substantial work experience.
- Provide information to others that requires technical or administrative explanation or interpretation.
- Attempts to resolve a difficult or challenging interpersonal situation, or overcome resistance to gain.
- Adapt messages to meet the needs of the intended audience.
- Manage own work and may train and review the work of casual employees, work study students, and/or volunteers, to see commitments through to completion.
- Participate in project team meetings and is involved in developing individual and team project plans.
- Identify new problems and seeks information and input to fully understand the cause.
- Identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of work processes.
- Break down concrete issues into parts and synthesizes information succinctly.
- Respect diversity and promotes inclusion in the workplace.
- Awareness of relevant legislation, including Employment Equity, Human Rights legislation, Treaties, sexual violence legislation and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and its regulations.