- Posted by: County of Lennox & Addington
- Closing Date: Dec 7, 2022
- City: Napanee
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $22.72 - $26.02
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: FT hours
- Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Cook/Dietary Aide/Receiver – Posting # 2022-131
Location: Food Services – The John M. Parrott Centre
Supervisor: Food Service Supervisor
Hours of Work: Days, evenings & weekends – Up to 12 hours (as scheduled)
Salary Range: Cook $22.72 – $26.02 (as per the CUPE Collective Agreement)
Closing Date: December 7, 2022
The John M. Parrott Centre is a fully accredited state-of-the-art, 168 bed long term care home, owned and operated by the County of Lennox and Addington, in the Town of Greater Napanee. We are currently seeking a highly motivated and energetic person for the position of Cook/Dietary Aide and Receiver.
- Must possess a Food Service Worker Certificate, be currently enrolled in or enroll within 3 months of start date in the Food Service Worker Certificate Program at a college established under the Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology Act, 2002, or Food Service Worker program provided by a Registered Private Career College & approved by the Superintendent of Private Career Colleges under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005 OR Preference will be given to those who have completed a chef training or a culinary management diploma from a program that meets the standards established by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities. Preference will be given to those who possess a Red Seal Designation
- Must possess a Safe Food Handler Certificate to be renewed every five years
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated expertise in quantity food production and be able to provide instruction to Dietary Aides as required
- Previous experience as a cook is required
- Must be able to follow verbal and written instruction in English
- Requires understanding of the special needs of the elderly and Ministry of Health Compliance Standards in a long-term care setting
- Exhibit patience and tact in their daily tasks involving residents, guests and staff
- Must be in good physical health, be clean and neat in appearance and have excellent personal hygiene
- Receive deliveries for the home including dietary and nursing deliveries, confirm order is correct and ensure safe delivery to proper areas
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds as well as stand, walk, and bend for entire shift, as this is a very physically demanding job
- Prepares menu items following recipes, menus, therapeutic diets, production sheets and departmental procedures.
- Operates commercial equipment in a safe manner
- Portions food requirements for each RHA, rotates stock and plans utilization of leftover foods
- Follows all Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) and sanitation practices to ensure food safety
- Acts in charge in the absence of the Manager and Supervisor. Will oversee and train (if needed) dietary staff and advise a worker of the existence of potential or actual danger of which they are aware. Make staff aware of written procedure for protection of the worker and take every precaution reasonable to protect the worker. They shall ensure staff are properly trained to perform their duties safely
- Portion and serve correct meals to residents and guests
- Responsible for setting and clearing tables and keeping the work areas, dining room and other areas in the department clean and sanitized
- Assist in the dishwashing process and prepare and set up daily nourishments
- Must be knowledgeable of and adhere to all Public Health and Ministry of Health Dietary Compliance Standards
- Functions effectively and contributes positively to the Dietary Services Team
- All other duties as assigned
Regulated Safety Activities: Must adhere to all service area policies and procedures as outlined in WHMIS, Infection Control, Fire, Health and Safety, and other manuals and legislation.
In accordance with provincial directive, employees must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as well as proof of a third shot - booster (i.e. received the total number of required doses of vaccine approved by Health Canada) or an approved exemption for preclusion from immunization as a condition of employment.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website at:
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of applicant selection. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Resumes received after the closing date will not be considered.
Please note that accommodations are available upon request to support the participation of persons with disabilities in applying for jobs and during the interview and assessment process. If you require an accommodation, please call the County’s Human Resources Department at 613-354-4883 to discuss. We will work with you to meet your needs.