Wildlife Kitchen Support
- Posted by: Toronto Wildlife Centre
- Closing Date: N/A
- City: Toronto
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Positions Available: 2
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Seasonal
- Avg. Hours/Week: 40
- Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends, Shift
- Education: High School, College, University
Position: Wildlife Kitchen Support
Reports to: Wildlife Rehabilitation Manager
Location: Currently based at Downsview Park, and possibly relocating to the Rouge National Urban Park during 2023
Start Date: Early spring 2023
Commitment: 6 month contract
Compensation: Starting at $15.50 per hour
Status: Seasonal, Full time, Five 8-hour days
About Toronto Wildlife Centre:
Toronto Wildlife Centre is the only wildlife centre in the Greater Toronto Area and the busiest in Canada. Dedicated to the rehabilitation of sick, injured and orphaned wildlife, and to educating the public on wildlife-related issues; TWC is the only wildlife centre in Canada with highly-trained wildlife veterinarians on staff, a dedicated Wildlife Rescue Program, and the only wildlife centre in Ontario with an Oil Spill Response Program. More than 30,000 phone calls from the public are handled each year through TWC’s Wildlife Hotline; this service is the busiest of its kind in North America and is considered to be a model internationally. Approximately 5,000 wild animals are admitted each year representing over 270 different species of wildlife. TWC works closely with other organizations to ensure the well-being of wildlife and our shared environments. As a registered charity, TWC relies on donations from members of the public, foundations, and like-minded organizations. Volunteers work in all areas of the centre from wildlife care to IT support.
The Wildlife Kitchen at Toronto Wildlife Centre (TWC) has been providing nutritious, species-specific food for thousands of patients annually, representing over 270 wild species. A healthy diet is a critical aspect of rehabilitation for wildlife. The logistics of delivering hundreds of fresh meals each day to hungry patients is challenging so TWC is looking for an experienced team to take the lead!
Seasonal kitchen staff will provide additional support during TWC’s busiest time of year from April to October—when we care for up to 700 patients at a time with a huge range of diets and case-specific dietary needs. The support staff will assist with meal preparation, feeder colony care, supply ordering and organization, and other tasks as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Upholds a positive, professional, and safe working environment at all times
• Preparing diets for the patients on a daily basis
• Preparing specie-specific formulas
• Maintaining the (live animal) Feeder Colonies
• Cleaning and maintaining the kitchen areas daily
• Ensures satisfactory completion of all daily tasks.
• Monitoring inventory and ordering supplies accordingly
• Training interns and volunteers on species specific food preparation and presentation
• Minimum 18 years of age
• Current tetanus vaccine
• Must be able to meet physical demands of the job, including the ability to lift a minimum of 25 kilos (55 lbs.) must be able to stand, sit, walk, stoop, crouch kneel and twist on a regular basis.
Education & Experience:
• Completion of a food preparation, animal dietetic or nutrition course(s) of study at the community college level or equivalent training and experience an asset
• Preference will be given to students or graduates studying in a related field
• Preference may be given to those with working knowledge of WHMIS legislation and Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act
• Preference will be given to candidates with previous TWC rehabilitation experience
• Ability to work collaboratively within a team
• Motivated self-starter, with ability to prioritize
• Flexible and adaptable to changing and dynamic work environment
• Strong work ethic and desire to learn
• Must be able to work with minimum supervision.
• Must possess demonstrated leadership abilities.
• Must have proven organizational skills.
• Must be able and willing to work weekends and holidays.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Must have proven mathematical skills.
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure “Wildlife Kitchen Support” is included in the subject line.
We would like to thank you for your interest in this position. Unfortunately, due to the anticipated number of candidates only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.