- Posted by: Barrett House
- Closing Date: N/A
- Start Date: Jan 16, 2023
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $18.00
- Positions Available: 5
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 20 - 40
- Schedule: Days, Nights, Evenings, Weekends, Shift
- Education: College
The Residential Counsellor reports to the Director, Supervisor(s), and the Behaviour Therapist at Barrett House. The Residential Counsellor will assume the following roles, perform the following duties, and demonstrate the following abilities:
The Residential Counsellor will assume a Key-Worker role to support assigned children/youth. In assuming a Key-Worker role, the Residential Counsellor must engage in the following behaviours and complete the following tasks:
- Compose and review Plan of Cares for key-youth, as well as attend and engage in Plan of Care meetings;
- Schedule and facilitate monthly Key-Worker outings with assigned youth;
- Facilitate clothing shopping for key-youth;
- Schedule and facilitate appointments for key-youth;
- Maintain contact with appropriate supports for key-youth (e.g., school, worker, family);
- Schedule, facilitate, and communicate visits for key-youth;
- Support key-youth in their engagement in recreational and vocational activities (e.g., registration, collection of information, acquiring necessary items/materials/clothing, etc.);
- Maintain blue file (e.g., ensure organization and appropriate filing of reports, obtain a copy of social history, etc.);
- Close key-youth’s files upon discharge.
When on-shift, in the absence of a scheduled Supervisor, a full-time Residential Counsellor will assume a Shift-Leader role. The Residential Counsellor will receive direction from the Supervisor when assuming this role. Residential Counsellors will engage in the following behaviours when assuming a Shift-Leader role:
- Assess staffing needs and make scheduling changes as required;
- Responsible for completing, communicating, and delegating tasks (e.g., 2pm-11pm checklist) to be completed;
- Remain on-shift throughout shift-cuts (e.g., a full-time Residential Counsellor, in the absence of a Supervisor, will be the last staff to leave).
Daily Routines and Programming:
The Residential Counsellor must engage in the following behaviours and complete the following tasks to ensure accurate and effective implementation of programming:
- Manage and administer medication;
- Facilitate implementation of daily routines (e.g., morning, evening) and programming;
- Work with the Supervisor(s) to plan, organize, and facilitate activities and daily programming for youth;
- Complete all other tasks as delegated by the Supervisor(s) (e.g., 2pm-11pm checklist); delegate tasks as required/appropriate to Part-Time and Casual Residential Counsellors.
Documentation and Administrative Tasks:
The Residential Counsellor will engage in the following behaviours to ensure adequate documentation and administrative tasks are completed:
- Document serious occurrences in which they are involved via an incident report and contact the on-call Supervisor, as well as CAS and police if required;
- Attend and engage in monthly staff meetings.
Behaviour Management Programming:
The Residential Counsellor will engage in the following behaviours to facilitate and support implementation of behaviour management programming:
- Implement group and individual behaviour management programs;
- Engage in and support data collection procedures and behavioural assessments;
- Support implementation of skill development groups (Skillstreaming groups).
AWAKE Overnight Shifts
- Implement group and individual behaviour management programs
- Prepare meals, and ensure food is taken out and ready for Staff and Youth the following day
- Clean and sanitize all surfaces of the residence, complete laundry and assigned tasks by Supervisor
- Reporting, Filing, Documenting, and maintaining youth files.
- Complete head checks and monitor and supervise the youth.
*Part Time (20 hours) and Full Time (35-40 hours) roles available