Teacher of the Deaf
- Posted by: Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch
- Closing Date: Jun 30, 2023
- Start Date: Sep 1, 2023
- City: Belleville
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $23.75
- Positions Available: 4
- Type: Part Time
- Duration: Casual
- Avg. Hours/Week: up to 20 hours
- Schedule: Days
- Education: University
Teacher of the Deaf - On Call Supply Opportunities
Positions available for 2023/2024 school year
A rewarding opportunity awaits you with The Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch in the following school:
- Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf - Belleville.
The Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf is dedicated to providing quality education to Deaf and Hard of Hearing students. Currently we are looking for innovative educators who are in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers and who are available for on-call/supply work.
Competition – PDSB23-093 – Teacher of the Deaf, Supply Positions available, Belleville
- Valid Certificate of Registration and Qualifications from the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT);
- Deaf Specialist/Teaching Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing - Aural and Oral Communications Specialist and/or ASL/LSQ Communication Specialist (NOTE: PDSB will consider teacher candidates who are currently engaged in completing the requirements for the specialist qualification and/or who express a willingness to obtain);
- Primary/Junior and/or Intermediate/Senior division qualifications;
- Experience in teaching Deaf/hard of hearing students in academic and in programs for students with multiple exceptionalities preferred;
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Ability to teach deaf/hard of hearing students in academic programs and programs for students with multiple exceptionalities;
- Ability to develop/modify lesson plans, create IEPs as needed to successfully teach Deaf students;
- Ability to apply an in-depth knowledge of the principles of teaching Deaf students;
- Ability to effectively manage a classroom and students using a variety of behavioural management techniques;
- Ability to write and present education materials and lesson plans using excellent interpersonal and communication skills including proficiency in English;
- Ability to apply an in depth knowledge of bilingual-biliteracy-bicultural education for Deaf students;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and working with students with multi exceptionalities.
LOCATION: Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf, 350 Dundas Street West, Belleville, Ontario
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
Please submit a cover letter, your resume outlining qualifications, experience and an up to date copy of your Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Registration and Qualification. Your cover letter must clearly identify Competition File # PDSB23-093 and the location of the position that you are applying to.
Please submit your application to the following email address: PSBjobs@ontario.ca
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Vulnerable Service Sector Screening Requirement
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Posting Date: Friday, May 5, 2023
Closing Date: Friday, May 26, 2023
Clearance No: N/A