- Posted by: VON
- Closing Date: N/A
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Part Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 15
- Education: High School
The Fitness Instructor is responsible for leading fitness classes to clients under the direction of the Program coordinator and/or Physiotherapist (PT) associated with the program and in line with the certification standards.
- Leads fitness classes.
- Works toward fulfillment of client goals as outlined on assessment.
- Participates in on-going review of service delivery process and evaluation.
- Attends educational in-services that are deemed appropriate by PT and/or coordinator.
- May provide fall prevention education as directed by Coordinator and/or regulated professionals.
- Reports any situations that are deemed inappropriate to their PT/coordinator.
- Ensures all incidents are reported in a timely manner in accordance with legislation and VON policies and procedures.
- Reports any defect in any equipment which may endanger themselves or others.
- Functions and reports in compliance with the OHS legislation, regulations, and VON policies and procedures
External and Internal Relationships:
Frequent interaction with Coordinator, Physiotherapist and clients.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- High school graduate.
- CCAA Certification as a Seniors Fitness Instructor and/or equivalent is required at the time of hire or within 3 months from time of hire.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience teaching group fitness classes for older adults including experience teaching specialized classes for chronic conditions i.e. Osteoporosis, Parkinson Disease, Diabetes, Osteoarthritis etc. is an asset.
- Experience promoting health and well-being through physical activity.
- Experience working in an assisted living environment i.e. recreation therapy is an asset.
- Bilingual in French/English is an asset.
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality.
- Dependability and trustworthiness.
- Good communication and active listening skills.
- Capacity to remain calm in unexpected situations.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for business use and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle Insurance.
- Current criminal background check including a vulnerable sector screen is required.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).