- Posted by: Canadian Forces Morale & Welfare Services
- Closing Date: Sep 28, 2023
- Start Date: Oct 2, 2023
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $18.82 - $27.03
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Temporary
- Avg. Hours/Week: 37.5
- Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
- Education: High School
WHO WE ARE
CFMWS. A job with purpose. Our 4000+ person strong organization champions a healthy, fun, creative and active lifestyle for Canadian Armed Forces members, Veterans and their families. Help us deliver a variety of recreation and fitness programs, offer family support, organize charity events and make sure our members access retail, travel and banking discounts and customized financial services. At Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services (CFMWS), we love what we do. And we live it too.
The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard plays an important role, providing quality leisure programs, services and ensuring the safety of our military members and their families.
Our services are tailored to help families with the challenges they may face due to military life and make the most of everyday activities such as going to the pool or beach. We believe that when members of the Canadian Armed Forces are able to take good care of themselves and their families, they can do better both at home and at work. Whether families need to sign the kids up for swimming lessons, improve their fitness, make friends in a new community, our services are here to help.
Lifeguarding is an exciting and rewarding job that carries great responsibility. Guards take courses and train hard for events they hope will never happen and which they work hard to prevent. As a Swim Instructor/Lifeguard, you will prepare and deliver swimming lessons and supervise those using the pool ensuring their safety. When guarding you will prevent accidents and spot potential trouble and intervene before it becomes life-threatening. You will explain safety rules to swimmers and enforce them. As an instructor you will teach participants how to swim and be responsible for designing activities for particular groups, such as seniors or children. You will motivate your students and help them reach their full potential. You will have a chance to expand your skills and share your passions as all with the goal of improving the quality of life for our military.
We are looking for dynamic, independent and motivated individuals to join our team, helping us ensure recreation stays safe and fun!
Education, Certifications and Licenses
- An acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience
- Current National Lifeguard Service (NLS) certification
- Current CPR and Standard First Aid certification
- Current recognized Swim Instructor certification
- HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development or HIGH FIVE Sport (successful completion by end of probation)
- HIGH FIVE Healthy Minds for Healthy Children (successful completion by end of probation)
- In dealing with the public, including, but limited to, children
- In performing lifeguard duties
- In the implementation of training and practice sessions
- In the development and implementation of individual training plans
- In cash handling
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Observational skills
- Communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to react and respond in emergency situations
- Client focus, organizational knowledge, communication, innovation, teamwork and leadership
English Essential, Bilingual an asset
- Health Benefits: Drug coverage, travel insurance, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance and accidental death and dismemberment coverage.
- Work Life Balance: A wide range of paid/unpaid leave, including paid vacation, family related leave and personal days.
- Retirement Planning: A Defined Benefit Pension Plan and Group Savings Plans.
- Learning and Development: Tuition Assistance Program and Advanced Learning Program, payment of professional association memberships, online learning opportunities and second language training.
- Perks: Discounts through CF One Member Appreciation.
- Perform moderate lifting, carrying, pulling and/or pushing (i.e. more than 10 lbs/4.5 kg but less than 50 lbs/23 kg)
- High degree of focus required
- The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check
- This Category I unionized position is open to all interested parties. Preference will be granted in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the PSAC bargaining unit for NPF Category I employees at CFB Kingston.
As soon as possible
INCLUSION AND ACCOMODATION
CFMWS is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates who can help us build a workforce that reflects the diversity of Canadian society. Workplace accommodation measures are available to all candidates identifying a need during the selection process.