Parking Equipment Technician
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: N/A
- City: Kingston
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: 23.87 - 29.39
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 40
- Schedule: Days
- Education: College
Kingston’s vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston’s high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
The Parking Equipment Technician performs general maintenance, repair and trouble shooting for Parking Services equipment including parking meters, pay and display machines, Pay on Foot garage equipment and mechanical arms. This position maintains databases, documents procedures, completes related record keeping, reviews manuals and communicates with colleagues and contractors as required. The Parking Equipment Technician provides customer focused services to resolve issues and maintains safe and clean parking facilities by completing janitorial duties, installation and removal of signs, and snow removal.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Install, test, operate, maintain, troubleshoot and complete associated preventative maintenance and repairs with the mechanical, electrical and controls of various equipment including meters, physical plant, architectural, on-street stalls, surface lots, and parking garages;
- Follow up on complaints concerning non-functioning equipment and resolve issues;
- Maintain database for inventory and purchases for parking parts and shop supplies;
- Maintain database to track performance and repair statistics for equipment and malfunctions;
- Maintain records and logs, document policies and procedures;
- Perform janitorial functions, including garbage removal in parking facilities including on-street, surface parking lots, and parking garages;
- Complete sign installation and removal (for both temporary and permanent installations);
- Complete basic carpentry, electrical and plumbing tasks;
- Review instruction manuals and resolve technical issues;
- Perform manual shoveling and salting as required;
- Complete routine tracking of information and data, and to prepare general correspondence and communications;
- Clean and maintain tools;
- Work with vendors to program new electronic equipment, program new fee structures, etc.;
- Assist with revenue collection from parking equipment (meters, pay and display machines, pay on foot equipment);
- Operate a ¾ ton plow sander truck for ice and snow control at various parking facilities and locations;
- Assist in the development and implementation of parking surveys, reviews, policies and procedures;
- Participate in emergency planning activities and department meetings and initiatives;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 2 year diploma in Electronics at the technician/technologist level i.e. Electrical Engineering Technician – Control Systems, or Electromechanical Engineering Technician – Automation & Robotics);
- Six (6) months experience with trouble shooting, testing and servicing of electro-mechanical controls and equipment;
- Experience working with customers and general complaints;
- Experience with parking equipment is preferred;
- Possess and maintain valid Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license;
- Core Competencies: Customer Focus, Teamwork, Results Orientation, Integrity.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a fast paced and demanding work environment;
- Knowledge of mechanical and electronic systems;
- Ability to learn meter programming system;
- Strong computer skills, including competence in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Demonstrated knowledge of computerized database systems;
- Ability to compose accurate written reports and correspondence;
- Comfortable operating power tools and equipment;
- Excellent public relations skills and demonstrated conflict resolution/problem solving skills required;
- Excellent customer service skills to address complaints;
- Must be team oriented, flexible and able to communicate effectively;
- Able to perform the essential duties of the job such as walk long distances, lifting, shoveling, standing for prolonged periods, driving, bending, twisting;
- Ability to work during inclement weather;
- Must be willing to work unsupervised, often alone any and/or all shifts;
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check at candidates’ expense.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resumé must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to. We thank all of those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The City of Kingston is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca, quoting the Job Number and the Job Title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.