Forestry Technician Student, Public Works (Summer Student 2024)
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: Mar 1, 2024
- Start Date: May 6, 2024
- City: KINGSTON
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $20.00
- Positions Available: 2
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Student
- Avg. Hours/Week: 40
- Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members *2SLGBTQ+ communities, to apply.
- Work in Cartegraph to update and capture data on the city’s urban forest
- Assist in the subdivision guideline review
- Review new development plans for tree planting and species identification
- Complete tree assessments
- Perform structure pruning with proper techniques on juvenile aged trees as part of performing inspections
- Assist in the planning of new tree planting programs
- Investigate and follow-up on work orders
- Other duties as assigned
- Shift hours of operation are between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm, (Monday to Friday)
- Must be available to start full-time work as of May 6, 2024, varied shifts including evenings and weekends
- MUST BE ENROLLED IN AND RETURNING TO FULL-TIME POST SECONDARY STUDIES IN FALL OF 2024 – Verification will be required
- Preference will be given to those enrolled in forestry, urban forestry or related field
- Knowledge of tree species, diseases and insect control
- Knowledge and or experience in Cartegraph or asset management software
- Must have a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Demonstrated knowledge of and able to prune trees
- Ability to work alone or in a team environment
- Proven customer service skills
- Proof of immunity to Tetanus and Hepatitis B may be required prior to start date
- Ability to work outside in inclement weather conditions
- Must be able to follow instructions and complete daily work assignments
- Must provide and wear CSA approved protective footwear
- A satisfactory criminal record check will be required by the successful candidate at their own expense
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.