GIS Student - Planning (Summer Student 2024)
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: Mar 3, 2024
- Start Date: May 1, 2024
- City: KINGSTON
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $20.00 / Hour
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Student
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35
- Schedule: Days
- Education: High School, College, University
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members 2SLGBTQIA+ communities, to apply.
- Assist the department with the development, collection, and maintenance of enterprise geospatial data.
- Analyze spatial information, review databases, generate data queries, and summarize statistics to be used in formal reports.
- Import and export data in a variety of formats (gdb, shp, zlas, slpk, i3s, dwg, rvz, csv, etc.).
- Verification and collection of data through field visits using GPS and mobile apps.
- Provide ongoing support to the Planning GIS Team and City Planners.
- Apply cartographic principles in the creation of web mapping products and applications.
- Responsible for the maintenance and production of maps using Esri software and ArcGIS online.
MUST BE ENROLLED IN AND RETURNING TO FULL-TIME SECONDARY OR POST SECONDARY STUDIES IN FALL OF 2024 – Verification will be required
- Experience and knowledge of geographic information systems, GIS databases and ESRI ArcGIS suite including ArcGIS Desktop, ArrGIS Pro, ArcGIS online, ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Experience and knowledge of remote sensing image analysis systems
- Familiarity with Planning functions and roles within a municipal environment
- Knowledge of geospatial web services and utilization of 3D GIS
- Experience with FME, Python, and Arcade, an asset
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity and Teamwork
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Attention to detail and accuracy with good data management and organizational skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Judgement and discretion when dealing with confidential information
- Ability to follow instructions and perform assigned duties with limited direct supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A satisfactory criminal record check is required at successful candidate’s own expense
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca.