Communications Officer - Generalist
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: Feb 27, 2024
- City: Kingston, ON
- Rate of Pay: Salary
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $70,203.77 - $87,712.53/Year
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35 hours/week
- Schedule: Days
- Education: College, University
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members 2SLGBTQIA+ communities, to apply.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications and Public Engagement, the Communications Officer champions the principles of quality customer service delivery and is responsible for collaborating with departments from across the organization to support effective communication around strategic priorities, issues management, and supporting the business unit workplans. This position advises departments on public engagement and provide reports to support the data-driven approach to communications.
The Communication Officer works with departments on the understanding, development, delivery, and analysis of internal and external communication through dynamic storytelling and clear concise messaging to align with corporate priorities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with team members and supports departments across the organization on the awareness, understanding, development, delivery, and analysis of communication for internal and external audiences.
- Designs communication plans to support projects, policies, initiatives, and programming.
- Develops, edits, and publishes various written materials for various channels including, news releases, webpage content, articles, editorials, publications, newsletters, video storyboards, radio ads, podcasts, surveys, and social media.
- Liaises with the Graphic Designers on the development, review, and approval of creative materials from concept meetings to final approval of the design materials.
- Creates an understanding and awareness of City projects through creative and dynamic storytelling.
- Attends meetings to support the department and the understanding of the projects and issues.
- Develops a project level communications analysis using the analytics and data to inform and support decisions on projects and tactics.
- Advises departments on engagement plans for projects, policies, and initiatives to align with the Public Engagement Framework.
- Develops and executes communication plans to support the engagement initiatives.
- Supports the development of materials using appropriate tools to receive input on projects, policies, and initiatives.
- Supports departments with engagement delivery and reporting back. This includes both virtual and in person sessions.
- Develops and maintain strong relationships with the media through proactive and reactive media relations.
- Monitors news coverage through media articles and on social media pertaining to the municipality and identifying issues and risks.
- Works with departments and the media to understand the media inquiry and timing. Supports the departments in preparation and messaging for their interviews or responses.
- Develops procedures and guidelines for work within the department.
- Maintains corporate records of the materials that are developed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
- 3 years of recent and relevant progressive experience in communications and marketing.
- Marketing and event coordination experience an asset.
- Experience in municipal government is considered an asset.
- Recent and relevant project management experience.
- Recent and relevant print, social media, web, and photography experience.
- International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) Foundations Training is considered an asset.
- Must demonstrate Corporate Competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- The ability to establish credibility and build trusting relationships.
- Exceptional communication skills both in verbal and written.
- A technical aptitude and ability to quickly learn new systems and software.
- Determines the most efficient process in developing communication plans and provide recommendations when necessary to Management.
- Determines when to refer or escalate a problem or question to Management.
- Working knowledge of Canadian Press (CP) Style.
- A strategic thinker that demonstrates creativity, organization, flexibility, negotiation, and political sensitivity skills.
- Proficient writing, editing, and proofreading for various communication channels, for accuracy and for content.
- Proficient using social media and social media management platforms.
- A strong understanding of project management.
- A strong working knowledge of analytics.
- Required to obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check.
- Bilingual in English and French languages both written and verbal considered an asset.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca.