Personal Support Worker (Summer Camp)
- Posted by: Easter Seals Ontario
- Closing Date: N/A
- City: Perth
- Rate of Pay: Salary
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $175/Day + meals, accommodation
- Positions Available: 12
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Seasonal
- Avg. Hours/Week: 40
- Schedule: Days
- Education: College, University
Work Location: Camp Merrywood, Perth, ON | At Easter Seals Ontario we run a wonderfully fun and inclusive camp for kids with physical disabilities that includes an amazing high ropes course, climbing wall, arts and crafts, outdoor swimming pool, pottery, archery, arts and crafts, and so much more. We provide a fully comprehensive training to work at camp, so no previous experience working at camp is required. A summer at camp includes meeting amazing campers and staff from around the world, learning new skills as part of a close-knit team, and creating experiences that campers will remember for a lifetime! Check out our website to learn more about our locations in Perth, Ontario and London, Ontario.
Reporting to the Counselling Director and Healthcare Director, PSWs will work within a cabin team to provide bedside and personal care to campers including bathing, showering, brushing teeth, hair care, toileting (changing incontinence pads), dressing, feeding, lifting and transferring, and supporting the ongoing learning of our counsellors by modelling exceptional comprehensive care to campers. Under supervision of the delegating Camp Nurse, PSWs may also perform clean intermittent catheterizations, provide ostomy care, manage feeding tubes, perform bladder irrigations and instillations, and assist with other activities of daily living.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Assist campers with mealtimes by feeding campers requiring assistance.
- Accompanying campers and counsellors to programs throughout the day and assisting with camper personal care needs where required.
- Provide care in accordance with the Camper Care Manual, the Healthcare Manual, the Staff Resource Manual, and all Easter Seals policies and procedures.
- Document all care provided and report on both upcoming scheduled care and any observed changes that may require follow up care or further assessment to the Counselling Director.
- Role model best practices when providing daily care to campers, acting as a reference for counsellors who are new to providing personal care.
- Participate in safe lifts and transfers including two person lifts, pivot transfers, and use of mechanical lifts.
- Participate in camp activities and assist campers to participate fully in the camp program as available.
- Follow proper infection control practices and use appropriate PPE.
- Report all incidents or accidents that occur in a timely and complete manner to the Counselling Director.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Ability to communicate and work as a member of a team.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury).
- Able to use appropriate lifting technique.
- Ability to quickly get to remote locations on camp property over uneven terrain.
- Observe and report any issue impacting the health and safety of campers or staff to the Counselling Director or delegating Camp Nurse.
- Completion of a Personal Support Worker certification program and a membership with the Ontario Personal Support Worker Association (OPSWA) is required. Previous experience in a long-term care, residential, and/or recreation setting is desirable, but not necessary. Comfortable working with children and youth. First Aid/CPR certification required.
- Candidates who are currently enrolled in a nursing program (RN/RPN/LPN) and have successfully completed at least their first year of study are encouraged to apply. Applicants must provide proof of enrollment for the upcoming semester.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season and meals provided on camp session days.
- Work scheduled shifts during camp sessions (8 days, 7 nights) with three-day breaks in between each session. The shifts with be 8 hours long and can be days or afternoons.
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.