Transportation Engineering Student (Summer Position)
- Posted by: City of Kingston
- Closing Date: Mar 3, 2024
- Start Date: May 6, 2024
- City: KINGSTON
- Rate of Pay: Hourly
- Rate of Pay Amount / Range: $20.00 / Hour
- Positions Available: 2
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Student
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35
- Schedule: Days
- Education: High School
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members 2SLGBTQIA+ communities, to apply.
Reporting to the Manager, Transportation Infrastructure or the Director of Engineering Services, the Transportation Engineering Student provides support on design and construction of transportation projects, traffic and transportation data collection and analysis, and assists in the development and implementation of transportation programing and public education. Assignments will span across the Transportation & Transit Services and Engineering Services Departments.
- Conduct research and analysis, using qualitative and quantitative data in areas including traffic and transportation data, active transportation infrastructure design and guidelines, and policy and By-law review
- Conduct site visits within the City of Kingston to provide a summary of observation/findings
- Support the delivery of transportation and parking projects, including analysis of data and information, review of designs and preparation of engineering drawings and tender documents/specifications, and assist with review of projects during construction to support the achievement of the City’s transportation goals and complete asset management for parking infrastructure
- Support the City’s transportation goals through research, creation of briefing materials and engagement of both institutional and business sector partners, and the development of events and promotions designed to encourage the adoption of active transportation
- Support the delivery of transportation programing, including active routes to school, bicycle parking, and public education
- Prepare and edit reports, briefing notes, correspondence, presentations, and other documents
- Monitor and report on developments in legislation, governmental policies, procedures or trends that impact the Corporation
- Maintain awareness of local municipal issues, including monitoring social media websites, newspapers, and other local media coverage
- Perform benchmarking studies, and research best practices
- Respond to employee and/or customer enquiries in person, over the phone, or by email
- Contribute to the efficient and effective delivery of projects and initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
MUST BE ENROLLED IN AND RETURNING TO FULL-TIME POST SECONDARY STUDIES IN FALL OF 2024 – Verification will be required
- Must be enrolled in college or university in the field of Civil Engineering or related field - Verification will be required
- Previous experience in transportation planning is considered an asset
- Must have valid Ontario Class "G" Driver’s Licence
- Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong customer service skills, including the ability to establish good working relationships with a variety of internal and external clients and the public
- Ability to work effectively, independently and as a team member
- Intermediate skills in MS Office
- Organizational and time management skills with a capacity to learn
- A satisfactory criminal record check is required at candidate’s own expense
Please apply through Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca.